Wednesday, October 15, 2008

O.c.t.o.b.e.r = L.o.v.e



Today marks the day when, three years ago, Tyler and I got married. Also on the 13th was our first date four years ago. So we kind of have two anniversaries in one week. I thought I would have class all night, but was able to take my test and leave. Since Tyler didn’t go to his class, we actually get to celebrate…kind of. We’re just going to go to dinner, tonight, then we plan on going to the Haunted Mill next weekend (that was where our very first date was…it scared me to death, but I’ll still go back).

We decided this year to not get each other gifts, but find something that we both want—which is turning out to be harder than I thought. For those of you who don’t know us very well, we really don’t have a lot of common interests, so to find something we both want is tricky. I would love a pedicure, or a new pair of shoes…but Tyler doesn’t seem to think that would make him happy. I’m not 100% sure why… I’m sure we’ll think of something come Christmas.

I saw these two rhymes about people who marry in October:
“Married when leaves in October thin, Toil and hardship for you begin.”
“If in October you do marry, love will come but riches tarry.”

I have to say they have been very true for us. Everyone always says the first few years of your marriage are the hardest…and wow, would I have to agree. The first three years have been so difficult. We have had our fair share of problems – many involving “riches”, but it’s safe to say those are getting under control. Don’t get me wrong, we have had some wonderful times, too. Some of our favorite memories are:
Our cruise to Mexico
Road trips to Canada
The Eastern Idaho State Fair
Endless nights of working at my school (both of us)
Playing Nintendo for days at a time
Watching 24 for 24 hours straight
All in all, it has been an amazingly rough and wonderful ride, and we are looking forward to the exciting things coming ahead!

2 comments:

kate said...

that wedding picture is SOOO cute! i love it! i never saw any pictures of your engagement/wedding, that looks so cute! i liked your post a lot. dave and i too have had some really difficult years, it's nice to know we're not alone in that (sometimes it seems like people are too scared to talk about the reality that things aren't always perfect)...congratulations!! you guys seem like such a cute pair, i wish i could meet you...maybe some day...i have to see the woman that tamed tyler:)

The Gibb Family said...

Happy Anniversary!! I'm glad that you guys got to have a bit of time together to celebrate!! And I agree - your wedding picture is awesome - you look amazing!!